QueenEarth’s Farmer’s Market Tour
Food, nutrition, and living a healthier lifestyle are all important to me. In addition to walking the dog around the neighborhood, parking a little further away from the front door of my destination, gardening for exercise, and making more conscious decisions about my cooking methods, my journey has also involved getting food at the Farmer’s market. Why not just buy it at the grocery store? Let me say, I love shopping at my local grocery store. I even dig the larger natural chains, so, in no particular order, here are 5, of my many, reasons for Farmer’s market support!
1. My 1st love affair with a FM required that I walk about a mile. What a great way to start my Sunday! During the spring and summer months, this is a great way to enjoy the sunshine and beautiful weather. As it get cooler outside, I can wear a jacket and adore the changing leaves and the smell of Fall. No matter the season, walking, instead of always choosing my car as option #1, has been a great way to reconnect with nature. After all, I am QueenEarth 😉
2. My favorite vendors always have new, and seasonal, ingredients and it helped to motivate my recipes for my food blog at www.youblogwhatyoueat.com. Check out QueenProfessor. Those are my original posts 😉
3. I buy my food from the farmers who grow organic food. I live in the United States. Most of us get to choose what we put inside of our bodies and if someone gave you an option to choose the natural vs. hormone injected kale or chicken . . . if you had the time to make a healthy home cooked meal vs go to the fast food spot around the way . . . I think most of us would choose the healthier option. I wish that more people would attend and support natural methods for growing produce and raising chickens and cattle. Even more, I wish that more people had access to “good” food! These markets are popping up everywhere and more and more, healthy food is accessible. Find one before the season is over and/or take notes and come prepared next season.
4. I dig the prices and the barter system. Lauraville was a smash success and I connected with some of the vendors. Read about it on the market blog at http://lauravillefarmersmarket.blogspot.com. Sometimes, after my gigs, I get complimentary food 😀 Last week, I got free stir fry and discounted beauty products. One time, I got free cupcakes. I trade music for food. I traded a QueenEarth CD for a friend green tomato sandwich 😉
5. I have lost weight, slowly, over the past couple of years. I attribute that change to making room for happiness and making time for myself and my diet. At the market, I get to talk to the person who grew the black eyed peas, raised the chicken, baked the granola, and we exchange recipes and I find encouragement for my new outlook on life.
All in all, I try to make good choices more than I make “bad” ones. That doesn’t mean that I don’t make mistakes and fulfill my urge for chicken wings at 3am, but as much as I can, I try to eat better and live a more active lifestyle. Join me and follow the tour!
2011 Market Tour Dates
Sunday September 4, 2011 – Catonsville Farmer’s Market, located at 730 Frederick Road, in the parking lot behind Friendly’s 10:30am-12:30pm
Friday September 9, 2011 – Charles St Friday Market on the Corner of Charles and Lanvale 4-6pm
Friday September 23, 2011 – Charles St Friday Market on the Corner of Charles and Lanvale 4-6pm
Sunday September 25, 2011 – Catonsville Farmer’s Market, located at 730 Frederick Road, in the parking lot behind Friendly’s 10:30am-12:30pm
Tuesday October 4, 2011 – Lauraville Farmers Market, 4-6pm, 4500 Harford Road
Tuesday October 11, 2011 – Lauraville Farmers Market, 4-6pm, 4500 Harford Road
Tuesday October 18, 2011 – Lauraville Farmers Market, 4-6pm, 4500 Harford Road
Tuesday October 25, 2011 – Lauraville Farmers Market, 4-6pm, 4500 Harford Road
Friday October 28, 2011 – Charles St Friday Market on the Corner of Charles and Lanvale 4-6pm
Last stop! November 6, 2011 9:30-11am – Donner Parking Lot on Compromise Street
Check out the Facebook event for more information!!!