Queer Core: Behind the Music is an educational concert series that highlights Queer stories through art. Hosted by QueenEarth, this traveling open mic features her coming out stories and invites community members to share their own.
Since 2012, Queercore has been a catalyst for community conversations about identity and inclusion. With discussion and Q&A, students will be given tools to imagine their path beyond college. They will leave this event with answers about how to navigate the world as creative leaders for themselves with a roadmap for equity to influence tomorrow. #imagineifyoumadeyourownway
Interested in hosting Queer Core at your school? E-mail Queenearth@queenearth.com
High school and college students, faculty and staff, have enjoyed Queer Core. Inquire about the format that would best fit your audience. We open our event to storytelling, visual, and performing arts. Check out photos from our past events!
Queer Core can be curated to the needs of your unique community
- Community Open Mic – Members of the community, especially students, are encouraged to share in the performance space
- School Residencies and Ongoing Dialogue – Long term conversations around diversity and inclusion towards curating community arts programming
- Professional Development – Inclusion training for leaders and organizations
A community event, through performance art, creative expression, and storytelling, QueerCore seeks to give a voice and visibility to artists of the often underrepresented GLBTQA community. This show is also meant to encourage community members to “come out” and share stories, triumphs, and to celebrate the parts of ourselves that make us unique. For some that “different” part is our sexuality. For others, it may be their skin color, religion, accent, etc. Aren’t we all, always, Coming Out?
What does the name mean?
Originally, for my labeling, “Queercore” was a music reference. “As a musical genre, it may be distinguished by lyrics exploring themes of prejudice and dealing with issues such as sexual identity, gender identity and the rights of the individual” (wikipedia).
What is Queer? Queer, from Merriam Webster . . .
- worthless, counterfeit
- questionable, suspicious
- differing in some odd way from what is usual or normal
- often disparaging : homosexual (2) sometimes offensive : gay 4b
- not quite well
Queer is an also an “umbrella term for sexual and gender minorities that are not heterosexual, heteronormative, or gender-binary” (wikipedia). I found several definitions for core.
- a central and often foundational part usually distinct from the enveloping part by a difference in nature
- an arrangement of a course of studies that combines under basic topics material from subjects conventionally separated and aims to provide a common background for all students
- the inmost or most intimate part
Queer Core is a vehicle for LGBTQ communities and allies to come together and share their common experiences of human development and personal evolution.
Who has seen Queer Core?
- University of Maryland, Baltimore County (Bmore Proud Leadership Conference) 2012
- University of Maryland College Park (LGBTQ Student Involvement & Advocacy) 2013
- Community College of Baltimore County (Rainbow Club) Essex, MD 2013
- YES! Empowerment Summit (Annual GSA Leadership Conference) San Francisco, CA 2013
- Arundel High School Assembly (Ash Beckham and the GSA) 2014 (blog)
- Community College of Baltimore County (Rainbow Club/Community Book Connection) 2014 (blog)
- Telling Our Stories, University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC Women’s Center/Women of Color Coalition) 2015
- University of Maryland, Baltimore County (B’More Proud) 2015
- National College Conference of Women Student Leaders, NCCWSL Workshop Presenter, University of Maryland, College Park 2017
- SUNY Patchogue, SJC Long Island (The Center for Student Involvement, Leadership and Multicultural Programming) 2017
- Women of the World Festival, Baltimore, MD
(Notre Dame of Maryland University) 2018
- Anti-Racism and Inclusion Staff Training
Shiloh Quaker Camp and Teen Adventure, Virginia, USA 2018
- National College Conference of Women Student Leaders, NCCWSL Workshop Presenter, University of Maryland, College Park 2018
- SUNY Patchogue, SJC Long Island (The Center for Student Involvement, Leadership and Multicultural Programming) 2019
- University of Maryland, Baltimore County (MOSAIC PawTalks) 2019
- She, He, They, XYZ: How We Think About Me with Charm City Tribe
2640 Space, Baltimore, MD 2019
- National College Conference of Women Student Leaders, NCCWSL Workshop Presenter, University of Maryland, College Park 2019
- Camp Pride, LGBTQ Leadership Academy, Guest Speaker,
University of North Carolina, Charlotte, 2019
- Anti-Racism and Inclusion Staff Training
Shiloh Quaker Camp and Teen Adventure, Virginia, USA 2019
- Baltimore’s 3rd Annual Ella Baker Day with Wombwork Productions, Inc
2640 Space Baltimore, MD 2019
- National Coming Out Day Coffeehouse, Hosts and Featured Artists
Stevenson University, Baltimore, MD, 2019
What did people say?
QueerCore: Behind the Music Crowd Review
Where will it go?
E-mail QueenEarth@queenearth.com for bookings and more info.