QueerCore: Behind the Music gives life to the stories behind QueenEarth’s “coming out” songs and seeks to inspire others to share their experiences. Members of the queer community, especially students, are encouraged to share in the performance space. We create a safe and brave space where audience members and participants can share the most intimate pieces of themselves, without judgment or fear of rejection. Our intersecting identities of gender, culture, race, class, sexuality, age etc. make us unique.
Ask one question. Start a conversation. #queercore
High school and college students, faculty and staff, have enjoyed QueerCore. Inquire about the format that would best fit your audience. We open our event to storytelling, visual, and performing arts. Check out photos from our past events!
QueerCore can be curated to the needs of your unique community
- Community Open Mic – Members of the community, especially students, are encouraged to share in the performance space
- School Residencies and Ongoing Dialogue – Long term conversations around diversity and inclusion towards curating community arts programming
- Intimate Classroom Discussion
- Musical Entertainment Concert
A community event, through performance art, creative expression, and storytelling, QueerCore seeks to give a voice and visibility to artists of the often underrepresented GLBTQA community. This show is also meant to encourage community members to “come out” and share stories, triumphs, and to celebrate the parts of ourselves that make us unique. For some that “different” part is our sexuality. For others, it may be their skin color, religion, accent, etc. Aren’t we all, always, Coming Out?
What does the name mean?
Originally, for my labeling, “Queercore” was a music reference. “As a musical genre, it may be distinguished by lyrics exploring themes of prejudice and dealing with issues such as sexual identity, gender identity and the rights of the individual” (wikipedia).
What is Queer? Queer, from Merriam Webster . . .
- worthless, counterfeit
- questionable, suspicious
- differing in some odd way from what is usual or normal
- often disparaging : homosexual (2) sometimes offensive : gay 4b
- not quite well
Queer is an also an “umbrella term for sexual and gender minorities that are not heterosexual, heteronormative, or gender-binary” (wikipedia). I found several definitions for core.
- a central and often foundational part usually distinct from the enveloping part by a difference in nature
- an arrangement of a course of studies that combines under basic topics material from subjects conventionally separated and aims to provide a common background for all students
- the inmost or most intimate part
QueerCore is a vehicle for LGBT communities and allies to come together and share their common experiences of human development and personal evolution.
Who has seen QueerCore?
- University of Maryland, Baltimore County (Bmore Proud Leadership Conference) 2012
- University of Maryland College Park (LGBTQ Student Involvement & Advocacy) 2013
- Community College of Baltimore County (Rainbow Club) Essex, MD 2013
- YES! Empowerment Summit (Annual GSA Leadership Conference) San Francisco, CA 2013
- Arundel High School Assembly (Ash Beckham and the GSA) 2014 (blog)
- Community College of Baltimore County (Rainbow Club/Community Book Connection) 2014 (blog)
- Telling Our Stories, University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC Women’s Center/Women of Color Coalition) 2015
- University of Maryland, Baltimore County (B’More Proud) 2015
- NCCWSL 2017 (National College Conference of Women Student Leaders) Workshop Presenter, University of Maryland, College Park 2017
- SUNY Patchogue, SJC Long Island (The Center for Student Involvement, Leadership and Multicultural Programming) 2017
What did people say?
QueerCore: Behind the Music Crowd Review
Where will it go?
E-mail QueenEarth@queenearth.com for bookings and more info.